Ghana’s 2020 general elections takes place today, 7th December 2020, where the New Patriotic Party (NPP) faces off with the National Democratic Congress (NDC). The respective leaders of the named parties, Nana Akufo-Addo and John Dramani Mahama will be pitted against each other for the third time as they seek the seat at Jubilee House. If you are not familiar with Ghanaian national politics, you may ask what is the NPP and NDC? Together they are the major political parties that control a great influence over the country’s political landscape. Both parties were established on the eve of the transition of power from a military government to a democratically elected leadership in 1993.
The NPP is the major centre-right, liberal-conservative political party in Ghana. It was made popular by John Kufour who was the party’s leader and the nation’s president from 2001 to 2009. The party is currently led by the sitting president Nana Akufo-Addo and managed by the party’s chairman, Freddie Blay.
The National Democratic Congress is the major social-democratic political party in Ghana, founded by Jerry John Rawlings, who led the military government from 1981 to 1993, and then served as a two-term president of Ghana from 1993 to 2001. The party previous controlled the governance of the country through the presidencies of John Atta Mills and John Dramani Mahama from 2009 to 2017.
The 2020 general election campaign cycle started in February 2019, when the former president, John Mahama, was confirmed as the presidential nominee for the opposition party, NDC. In December of the same year, sitting President Nana Akufo-Addo declared that he would run as the NPP nominee for a re-election bid. In order to refresh your minds as to the achievements/milestones of each candidate during their respective first terms, we have compiled 5 notable instances below:
The achievements of Nana Akufo-Addo
- Enacted the free senior high school education scheme
- Commenced and completed the Year of Return tourism initiative
- Enabled the national government to provide support to the populace during the COVID 19 pandemic
- Introduced 6 new political regions
- Oversaw the reopening of the AngloGold Ashanti gold mines in Obuasi
The achievements of John Mahama
- Supported the establishment of a new engineering faculty block for Koforidua Technical University
- Opened the Nchumuruman Community Senior high school located in Volta/Oti Region
- Opened the University of Health and Allied Sciences (UHAS) located in Sokorde, Volta Region
- Opened the Rattray Park in Kumasi – a recreational facility located in Kumasi, Ashanti Region
- Opened theUniversity Of Ghana Medical Centre (UGMC Hospital) located in Legon, Accra
Who will appointed as President of our Nation, Ghana?
We urge everyone who is able to, to go and vote at their local polling station. Number one on the Ballot for our current president Nana Akufo- Addo and Number 2 on the ballot for former President, John Mahama.
If you are voting, please do not forget to adhere to social distancing measures to ensure you are keeping yourself and others safe! We are praying for a peaceful election. You need to be in the voting queue by 5pm to be allowed to vote.